Ambitions, projects and international standing
WELCOME TO UNIVERSITE BRETAGNE LOIRE
Université Bretagne Loire is a regional network with an international outlook.
France higher education and research greatest cluster
Université Bretagne Loire is a federation, a «community of universities and institutions». It is a territorial structure in charge of :
- Coordinating the diversity of higher education training, existing across Bretagne and Pays de la Loire,
- Defining and implementing research and innovation strategies,
- Building new and common services and sharing competencies.
Université Bretagne Loire is rooted in its partnership with national research institutions and in its territory. It smartly develops its strategy thanks to its sound knowledge of its local context, economic sectors and stakeholders.
An increasing level of cooperation
Université Bretagne Loire aims to enhance the scientific and academic potential of Bretagne and Pays de la Loire regions and to make them more visible at the national and international level.
Université Bretagne Loire ambition is to become a collective intelligence network known for the excellence of its educations, the dynamic student life and coherent environment.
Université Bretagne Loire role is to coordinate policies with regard to research strategy and courses offered. Université Bretagne Loire members have access to mutualized tools and common services such as an unique European digital campus and a scientific skills search engine, transfer and entrepreneurship services, a European projects support centre.
A shared development strategy with territorial and international partners should boost new projects, getting more funding, and leading growth.
Headquarters: Cité internationale de Rennes (Bretagne) + a branch in Nantes (Pays de la Loire) & local offices in Angers, Brest, Le Mans, Lorient, and Vannes.
Assets :Public service, respect, humanism, democracy and open-mindedness.
Assignment of 5 main activities: Research, education, Europe and international, economic development and digital technologies.
244,532 students enrolled from bachelor to the doctorate, including 7,8 % of foreign students.
16,472 people working for science and education, including 8,811 teachers.
10 research departments.
225 laboratories networking in their specialities.
1 PhD school and 11 doctorate schools with more than 1 000 new post-graduates every year.
Key indicators and reference points
- 25 member institutions
- 12 associated institutions
- 7 universities, 14 schools, 4 organisations
- 244,532 students in higher education, including 7.8% of overseas students: biggest university grouping (12.4% of total national numbers) in 2014-2015 (Source: SIES)
- 16,472 members of staff
- 2nd biggest university grouping in France after Paris Saclay in terms of staff numbers, with 8,811 teaching staff in 2014-2015 (Source: DGRH A1-1)
- 15 LABEX (laboratories of excellence) with half working as a network at Université Bretagne Loire
- 1,057 PhDs in 2016
- 1 SATT (technology transfer acceleration company) Ouest Valorisation
- €12.3 million invested to support the development of 50 start-ups in the space of 5 years
- 9 centres of excellence, including 3 with an international scope
- 2 regions and 1 network of metropolitan and urban areas
- 250 laboratories working as a network
- 10 research departments